Complaint letter is a formal letter written to file grievance. It could be written to your teacher, landlord, coworker, employer, hospitality department of restaurant/ hotel, boss or anyone who is concerned for your trouble. If you are writing this for some work place related issue, you may address it to the human resource department of your organization.
This letter is a best way to inform an individual or an organization about your inconvenience. You may write it to register your complaint about some service or product or just to inform about someone’s unfair behavior. It also serves as a legal document. A properly worded such letter will ensure proceedings to resolve the confrontation. We have presented some effective writing tips to make your complaint letter successful.
Format and content:
- Block style format of business letter writing is appropriate for your purpose.
- Keep your letter precise and significant. A long letter full of irrelevant facts usually fails to deliver the real essence of the letter.
- Make a straightforward letter in sincere tone.
- Introduce yourself in the opening lines.
- If you are an old customer/ client, mention this fact with a stress. Make him think that they may lose you if you will not be satisfied.
- If you are new one then inform him that you will never deal with them as you are very disappointed.
- State the purpose of your writing in the first paragraph.
- Write down your complaint and spell out the exact points of objection.
- Expand the key points in the middle paragraph.
- Middle paragraph is the best place to provide details regarding your disappointment and reasons of objections.
- State exactly what you expect in result for instance, if you want a complete or partial refund of money, a replacement or anything, mention it without ambiguity.
Warning in veil:
- Politely in form the recipient about the after effects if he would fail to resolve the issue.
- Do not threaten him just express that you are very serious about the matter and if your complaint fails to get settled you will try some other way to resolve it.
- Summarize the key points of objection and important suggestions in the last paragraph.
- Request the recipient to solve your problem as soon as possible. If you want to get it solved within a certain time frame, mention it clearly in the last paragraph.
- Provide your contact number and ask him to contact you in case they need further information regarding your complaint.
- Close it with a positive note. Express that you completely believe in the policies of the recipient’s company and you are hopeful that they will solve your problem promptly.
- Thank the recipient in the last line beforehand for resolving the matter.
- Proofread it carefully before sending it. A letter full of grammatical, spelling or punctuation errors always backfires.
- An error free letter demonstrates your professionalism and credibility.
Other Categories of Complaint Letter Writing Tips:-
Tips to Write a Complaint Letter for Poor Service
Now we will learn some tips about how to write a complaint letter to an organization regarding poor service.
8 Tips for Writing an Complaint Response Letter
Now let’s have a look at some tips about how to respond a complaint letter in a correct and humble manner followed by a sample format.
Tips for Writing an Restaurant Complaint Letter
Some of the tips to write a restaurant complaint letter are as follows.
7 Tips for Writing Effective Employee Complaint Letter
Here we have provided some tips to write a employee complaint letter.
Tips for Writing a Complaint Letter to Airline
Now we will see some of the tips about how to write a complaint letter to an airline for inconvenience caused to the customer due to the staff or the management of an airline.