Resignation letter is a formal letter written by an employee who wants to terminate his employment with his current organization. It officially informs the employer that the employee want to stop his services for the organization. It also covers the reason behind the decision with the last working date. It provides an opportunity to end the working relationship on good terms with the current organization.
Such letters require being written in a positive and professional manner. A perfectly worded letter not only conveys your message but also help you preserve your network with your current company. You can get countless samples and templates of such letters but a generic document can never serve your actual purpose.
Hence you require drafting it on your own for better impact. Here are some effective writing tips on how to write a perfect resignation letter.
- Inform your employer at right time as most of the companies require you to serve notice period of a certain time period before release.
- Write it on your official letterhead as this is a formal communication between an employer and employee.
- Follow the standard format of business letter writing.
- Make short, precise and factual letter including all the essential details.
- Enter the current date followed by the subject line.
- Subject line should be crisp, simple and easy to understandable.
- Start it with a formal salutation.
- State the purpose of your writing in the opening paragraph. Mention that you want to end up your employment with that company.
- Provide the reason of your decision in simple and easy to understandable language. Do not write any negative comment or unprofessional reason. Always present a rational and decent reason of your resignation.
- Explain your purpose of writing in the next paragraph. Discuss it in detail with some valid points. Regardless the reason of your resignation, make a positive and professional note without reflecting your disappointment or frustration.
- Write some lines of appreciation for your colleagues and manager for their support and cooperation.
- Conclude your writing with a thank you note for your employer as this is a good etiquette. Express your gratitude to your employer for proving you an opportunity to work with his organization.
- Include a best wishes note in the end. It is always good to wrap up your resignation letter by wishing luck to your current company.
- End it with a formal complimentary valediction.
- Proofread it carefully before handing it over to your boss or manager. Correct all the grammatical, spelling or punctuation errors. Ensure that you have included all the required information. Remove if you have written any negative statement. A flawless and positive letter of resignation reflects your credibility and professionalism.
- Put your signature on the final copy and send it to the recipient.