Scholarship letter is a formal letter written to compliment the application of scholarship. It is written to the scholarship board or committee of the educational institute or the organization / agency that sponsors scholarships to students for education. It could be for higher studies or studies in abroad. Such a letter is written to compliment your application for scholarship to increase your chance of winning.
Most of the universities and scholarship sponsors ask for such letter to understand the candidate and its requirement. It covers all the relevant information including the qualification, skills and recommendation.
Here are some effective writing tips on how to write a scholarship letter to serve a purpose.
Format and content:
- Write it in formal style. Follow the standard format of business letter writing.
- Do not use fancy font or colorful writing sheet.
- Keep the professional tone prominent in harmony with the intention of such letter.
- Scholarship letter or essay is required to be composed with great care to serve your requirement.
- Do not follow the generic examples or samples of such letter as it will not look persuasive and you will be unsuccessful to get scholarship.
- Introduce yourself briefly in the opening lines.
- Write down the purpose of your writing directly.
- Spell out the name of the study program for which you need the scholarship, university/college, name of scholarship and other essential information.
- Mention your educational qualification, skills and achievements.
- Discuss some of your unique qualities and attributes to convince the recipient that you are the most deserving candidate for the scholarship.
- Spell out your particular trait and link the previous paragraph.
- Put stress on special attributes of your personality to appeal the scholarship board.
- Highlight your attributes and abilities to convince the reader that you are the most deserving candidate.
- Write everything in convincing manner otherwise you cannot get desired results.
- Do not discuss your personality in detail. Simply explain your interest in the field of education.
- Summarize all the important points that you have mentioned in above paragraphs.
- Highlight some of the unique facts within two or three lines.
- That will grab the attention of the board of scholarship committee.
- Write some strong persuasive lines without getting into begging tone.
- Thank the recipient in the end and wrap up your writing.
- Enter an appropriate and formal closure notation.
- Write some complimentary closure such as “Sincerely”, “Truly” or something related to it.
- If you have attached any document as supportive with it, mention that clearly in the end under an enclosure notation.
- Review your letter carefully before sending it.
- Correct all the grammatical, spelling and punctuation errors. Study to ensure that you have not missed in important point required to be mentioned in it.
- A perfectly worded letter demonstrates your sincerity and credibility.