Follow-up letters are the formal letters addressed to the potential employer after an interview or a meeting. It serves as a formal reminder of your job application or an interview. You can send it to the human resource department of the organization, interview board or the authorized recruiter. It conveys your gratitude for the consideration of your job application or providing opportunity for the interview or meeting. It provides you another chance to show your interest in organization and the job post.
There are several examples of such letters but a standard business style letter is best for it. You can also write a thank you letter after an interview for follow up, it will also serve you the same.
Here are some good writing tips to guide you how to write an effective follow up letter.
Format and Language:
- Compose it in the standard format of business letter writing.
- Keep the tone formal and sincere.
- Write it in a clear, simple and easy to understand language.
- Do not write it in a pleading or begging tone.
- Never show your frustration on the organization or desperation for the job.
- Create a factual subject line to deliver the gist of the letter in first look.
- Make it short and meaningful.
- Include some important facts such as reference number, application number, job post, interview date or something similar to it.
Body of the Letter:
- Start it with a gesture of thank you. Express your appreciation to the interview in humble and sincere tone.
- Provide your brief introduction with a reminder of the interview.
- Show your interest and determination for the job you have applied for. But do not demonstrate your desperation in a begging tone.
- You can summarize your qualification and experience in the middle paragraph. Do not provide details as you have already sent your resume, cover letter and faced the interview. Though, you can add something that proves you the most suitable candidate for the job.
- Conclude your letter with a thank you note.
- Request them to contact you on your provided contact.
Avoid Negative Points:
- Do not write anything criticizing related with the organization, interview board or related with your interview experience.
- There is no need of writing anything negative related with the unemployment or your bad experience related with your previous job.
- Never write that you have waited so long for the response of your interview or you are very disappointed with the delay in response.
- Proofread it carefully to avoid spelling, grammar or content error. A flawless letter delivers your professionalism and credibility.
- Make two copies of it. Send one two the recipient and keep the other for your further reference.
- If you failed to get the response of your first letter, you may draft a second follow up and attach this as an enclosure for the reference of the precious.
Other Categories of Follow Up Letter Writing Tips:-
6 Tips on Writing an Follow Up Interview Letter
Writing a follow up interview letter is not just about maintaining a formal way, but also about converting your emotion into the words. Below are some tips that make your letter perfect.
Tips for Writing a Follow Up Letter After Resume
After submitting your resume to a company, your resume may be missed in thousands of applications, so your follow up letter after resume works as a reminder call for the company.
Tips to write a Application Follow up Letter
Here are suggestions to make your Application follow up Letter beautiful and appealing. Go through these tips that enhance the quality of your letter.
9 Tips for Writing a Follow Up Letter After Rejection
Follow up letter after rejection is an unconventional way of expressing your feeling without losing the politeness. It seems tough, but with these tips, provided below, you can make your letter perfect in conveying your thoughts.
Tips for Writing an Follow Up Request Letter
A follow up Request letter is a repeated reminder of your letter, which you have sent earlier to solve your problems on your personal basis.
Tips to Write a Follow up Sales Letter
When the purpose of Follow Up Sales Letter is to bring your customer closer to your company, you need a compact thought to project your view.
Tips for Writing Effective Employment Follow up Letter
If your mind goes blank to write a strong employment follow up letter, here are some tips to make your task easier. With these, your approach will be strong.
5 Tips for Writing a Follow up Thank You Letter
As it is a Follow UP Tank You Letter, you have to maintain a certain degree of respect throughout the letter. If your words cannot find the right way to come out, you can seek help from these tips.
Tips to write a Follow Up Letter after Meeting
Before writing a follow up letter after meeting, you need to know some issues that can leave an effect on whom you are addressed.
Tips for Writing an Follow Up Letter After Job Interview
Here we have presented some useful tips to make your writing effective follow up letter after job interview. Compose it on an official letterhead or on a professional writing pad as it is highly professional letter writing.