Thank you letter is the best way to communicate that you really admire someone for his/her particular action, assistance, advice and so on. Though we instantly say thank you after receiving any sweet or concerning gesture, a perfectly worded letter of thank you touches the heart of the recipient directly and deeply. It spells out the exact reason of admiration in sincere and polite manner. We are living a fast paced life and if you find some time out of your busy schedule to draft a note of thankfulness, it matters a lot to the recipient.
It could be for a donor for his kind donation, teacher for his valuable advice, university/college for admission or scholarship and so on. You can also draft it as a personal note of admiration and appreciation addressed to some of your friend, family member or others for their gifts or support. A perfectly worded letter full of appreciation and gratitude brings smile on the face of the recipient and satisfaction to his heart.
We have provided you some easy writing tips to make your thank you letter effective.
- Compose it on your official letterhead if it is written to someone at your workplace or with whom you share a formal relationship.
- Block style business letter writing format is best for such letters. If you are writing this as a personal note of gratitude you can chose format of your own choice.
- If it is for someone from your family or you share a cordial relationship with the recipient, you can chose stationery and writing format of your choice.
- Keep it precise and meaningful. A brief note with true emotions communicates better than a long letter full of flattery and over the top expressions.
- Draft it in simple and easily understandable language. Avoid complex sentences and typical fictitious phrases.
- Write your name, address and contact details on the top followed by the same details of the recipient.
- Enter the current date. Date shows that how promptly you have expressed your gratitude. Try to send it within 48 hours.
- Create a crisp and significant subject line. Subject line is mandatory if it is a formal note of gratitude.
- Start it with a proper salutation. Always keep in mind the nature of your message. If it is formal use formal salutation and if it is informal write whatever you feel suitable.
- State the purpose of your writing in the first lines. Make clear the exact reason in the first paragraph for instance. If it is for a beautiful gift send by your granny, write that you are thankful for the lovely gift in the opening lines. Do not forget to spell out the exact name of the gift with some suitable adjective to praise the gift and the choice of the granny.
- If you are writing this to your boss for some of his advice or remarkable support. Mention that exactly in the opening paragraph. You can also add some of his previous appreciable actions to express that you have always admired him for his kind support.
- If you are writing this against a donation or charity, do not forget to mention how you plan to use the gift, or how the contribution or service has in the past been used.
- Reiterate your thank you in the last paragraph with some lines in praise of the deeds of the recipient.
- Add some lines in the formal note to express that you want to meet or talk to him to express you gratitude. If it is an informal message, write that how much you miss him and how eagerly you want to see the recipient.
- Close it with a complimentary closing gesture. “Sincerely”, “Truly”, “Cordially” is good for formal and “fondly,”, “take care” are appropriate for informal valediction.
- Proofread it carefully to deliver a flawless letter. Put your signature on the final document and send it to the recipient.
Other Categories of Thank you Letter Writing Tips:-
Tips for Writing an Effective Thank You Letter for Gift
Here we have presented some effective tips to make your writing thank you letter for gift.
Tips on Writing a Thank You Letter
Thank you letter is a letter written to express gratitude. It could be formal or informal or both.