Promotion letter is an official document written in order to announce the promotion of an employee to a higher position within the company. It is most likely issued by the human resource department or the other higher authority of the organization. It is sent internally to inform a newly promoted employee about his/her new job responsibilities and commitments expected of the latest designation. It usually covers all the essential information related to the change including the new reporting boss, new location, specific responsibilities, revised salary structure and other additional benefits. These promotion request letters require being written very carefully as it serves as a legal document too. It should therefore be able to satisfy all the legal requirements with respect to the latest change.
The format to writing a letter to request for a promotion is almost the same as other official letters only with a slight change in the content. For instance, if you are asking for a promotion you would be required to prove that you are a deserving candidate for the same. But on other hand if you are writing to offer promotion to a certain employee you have to include the points to justify why the person is being promoted.
Here are some good writing tips on how to write an effective promotion letters at work places.
- Ensure to be clear and specific while mentioning the relevant information.
- Compose it on the official letterhead of the organization as this is a professional communication between the employee and the employer.
- Write the full name, designation, name of the organization and its address of the recipient.
- Enter current date on which it is issued.
- Make a crisp subject line including the fact to make it meaningful. For instance you can write add the new designation and its effective date to deliver the gist of the writing in first look.
- Start it with a formal and appropriate salutation.
- Open it with a warm and pleasing congratulation message. Share the purpose of writing directly without much ado. Inform the recipient about his promotion with enthusiasm.
- State the new designation clearly. Mention all the additional responsibilities and obligations of the new job position.
- Mention the name of his new reporting manager or supervisor. If there is any change in his location or work place, include the clear information of the same.
- Cleary provide the details of the new salary structure, extra benefits, special allowances and other benefits in the middle paragraph.
- Add some inspirational and motivational phrases to encourage the employee.
- Write some lines to praise the employee for his remarkable services and good excellent work performance. Justify his promotion in sincere tone. Connect his skill sets and dedication for work with his promotion.
- Write some lines to express that how much the organization is sure about his future excellence in the latest job position. Motivate him again to make higher records of success in his future projects.
- Close it with best wishes.
- Always make two copies of such documents. Get signed the both copies if it got accepted by the recipient. Provide one to him and keep other for the record of the organization.
- Proofread it carefully to avoid grammatical or spelling errors.
Other Categories of Promotion Letter Writing Tips:-
How to Write a Letter of Intent for a Promotion
Writing a letter of intent for promotion is difficult as it deals with the different attitude compared to the other letter.
How to Write a Promotion Acceptance Letter with Example
A promotion acceptance letter is written from the employee side to inform the management team that he/she accepts the promotion.