Letter of criticism is usually written in order to inform someone about their objectionable or inappropriate actions. It could be written to someone at your work place or someone with whom you share a close bonding. A written document to criticize serves as a formal notification regarding some faults or inaccuracy committed by the reader. Though it brings a negative expression, it could be written for betterment.
It is the best way to express your disagreement or objection without losing your temperament. It carries a silent warning about the continuous practice of the mentioned points. It clearly mentions the after results in a humble tone. Though there is no set pattern of writing such letters, it could vary according the writing topics. You can get several generic samples but drafting a flawless letter depends on your own tactics.
Here are some easy writing tips to clear your confusion regarding how to write a letter of criticism.
- Make a rough letter outline. It will help you in mentioning all the important points in an organized manner.
- Compose it under the standard business letter writing conventions.
- Start with your name, address and contact details followed by the same information of the recipient of the letter.
- Enter the current date and start it with a customary formal greeting.
- Open your letter with a positive comment followed by your intention of writing. Directly address the reader and state your point of objection in a humble tone.
- Mention some of the strong points of the reader to boost his morale. You can write a summary of the encouraging attributes in the middle paragraph. Follow this summary with some lines about the wrong actions as this is the best way to maintain the balance of positivity and negativity in your writing.
- Provide some suggestion or solution in the last paragraph to make your letter motivating. Criticizing without advice is worthless so mention some logical points to help the reader.
- Express your willingness and enthusiasm to recommend further suggestions. Motivate the reader to contact you regarding any future adaptations of the matter which you have critiqued. This will help you to close your letter in a positive notion.
- If you have attached any document with it, mention all of them clearly in the end under an enclosure notation.
- Close your letter with an official closing notation such as “Respectfully,” or “Sincerely”.
- Proofread it carefully to create a flawless and error free document.
- Put your signature and sent it.